Wednesday, October 29, 2008

turning the odds in


Here comes the pictures of the class room action. I was leading a discussion with a group of students at the end of a class, extending their under standing of the concept. Though I planned to take such pictures many a times, during the course of the class I forget to do so or by the end of the class I am not left with the time for it.

By the simultaneous projection of the operations of TI -84 calculator on a projector screen and explaining the content by O.H projectors, by making PowerPoint presentations and suitable work sheets for class and for practice, I am trying my best to do take their attention.

For an Indian Math teacher, as the planning is all done for you in the form of a text book, the American class rooms are so different. It is not just like- have the content in the mind, have the ability to work out any problem related to it independently and instantly, work them on the board and the students will learn and practice. You need an activity to engage them through out. If you are a little low on your planning on a particular day, that's it. The class is out of your hands and becomes a nightmare. The heroes would take the lead and disrupt your class.( it happens some times though you are well prepared).

As a teacher you should be with a bunch of ideas to engage them and to hold their attention. You should be able to cater different types of needs of different students at the same time. One may ask you pencil, the other wants to sharpen his pencil as the lead broke suddenly, one has a issue with tissue and his nose, some one else raised his hand as he/she did not understand the very first step of the problem, one wants to go to rest room as it was rush in the break time, somebody else wants you not to pay attention so that to attend the text msg just received, one could not see the problem as she/he forgot to bring the spectacles and one other has a problem with his/her contact lenses. Unfortunately all of this may happen at a time as you are still teaching concerned about the completion of the lesson with in the time.

If many a times it is just trying you but some times it is genuine too. How to deal with this? Then in American terms stick to the rules establish the procedures. Procedures will turn into Class room behaviour. As simple as that(!).

In new teacher orientation the popular slogan is 'Don't to smile till December'.

In the span of two and half months I had a chance to observe 5 different schools and one thing that amazes me is the significant difference in the student's attitude from school to school. May be some first year teachers accept me saying the students even may change their behaviour from teacher to teacher, and more interestingly with the same teacher they may behave differently on different days.

If Freshmen bring the behavioural issues to my class with their relatively new entry into the High Schools, the sophomores compare the technology I use ( ?) with what was used last year. For most of them I am denying their right to work on individual laptops on their projects with my direct instruction. And to the matter of fact they are very true, laving the issue of my country, culture and school system apart. Why should we strain much to understand a topic that is dealt in different approach? Why can't that teacher just speak in the way we could? I understand these qustions running in their minds. I want to answer them with my patience and by doing the best I can. Learn as much as you can and implement it in the class room. Some times the results are very good.

I know, between a high begining and the happy ending there will be some ups and downs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Difficult bunch of FLOWERS to deal with......oh my god....