Monday, October 20, 2008

Mrs. Elliot

After finishing my classes at New Tech, at around around 11.30 today I left to visit Durham School of Arts. ( The U.S magnet school of excellence 2006-07).
The visit gave some more scope to look into the American school system. I appreciate (in fact I envy) the infrastructure and facilities at American Schools. The technology and the material (stationery) at the disposal of an American teacher are what make the schools very different from the schools in India.
I had opportunities to observe three classes. All the three are different from each other and unique in their own kind. The Integrated and Algebra and Geometry class was formal, the geometry class was tech oriented and the Physics Class was student centered. All the three engaged the students met the objectives in their own ways.
I like Smart boards that are being used in America. You can feel like you have the whole world of knowledge is under the command of your finger tips. They are not just display boards but touch screen and write on it - multi purpose. You even can display a count down timer to remind your students about their time to complete the assigned work.
With these technology things you need to plan each minute of your class and execute your plan properly during the class.
I found this achieved close to perfection in Mrs Elliot's geometry class.
The switching between O.H.P and Smart board, the question - answer strategy, the kind of focus she could get from American Middle school students (!) are highly appreciable.
having been observed 5 schools in different set up-
I truly regard the respect to the students of various kinds of learning abilities in American schools. They respect visual learners and kinesthetic learners. We, in India are some times in tolerant to such students and grade them as slow learners or they are unfit for studies.
(Am I boring you appreciating America too much? Wait, the demerits in one other post.)
Leaving the debate whether American school is system is so good and so successful, there are some great things to learn and imbibe in our teaching practice.
This visit to D.S.A changed some of my perspectives about American Education system. It made me more decisive in making generalisations.

(I invite my colleagues and fellow fulbrighters to respond, share their ideas and experiences which can enhance my/our understanding. That can really serve the purpose of the visit)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post is really good......when we go to places and meet people we have to learn the good and highlight it....YOU HAVE RIGHTLY DONE IT....KEEP GOING FRIEND....