Sunday, September 28, 2008

Vamsi - Murali - Basuri - Bansi

My American connection- My name Vamsi Krishna means lord Krishna with flute. Ironically I could not learn to play a flute and when ever I tried to play it I struggled even to produce a sound. I learnt my first lessons of playing flute here in America. David O'Neal whom I met in the Art Fest runs a musical instruments store in Raleigh. He makes some great flutes. He was patient enough to teach me a song. I enjoyed learning it. Coming to more details this flute has origins in the Native Americans culture. I am remembered the Kevin Costner starred classic film 'Dances with Wolves', a film that depicts the lives of Native Americans. It is placed vertically before your mouth unlike the Indian flutes which are blown placing them horizontally. While you have to bother about placing the lips properly to blow air through an Indian one, this flute is very simple to play. The position and structure of the nozzle allows you to play it easily but producing a fantastic sound. Sounds great no? It really sounds great. Watch the video.

No comments: