Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Do you believe in me?

Hey everybody,

I am happy today. After many hhu…s and uff...s finally I heard some aha..s today. For the long few days my B- day classes are running very smoothly. Today few students asked me “Mr. K, Why can't you stay here till June to teach us? (till the completion of the session). Though I heard such comments during my introduction they were just out of curiosity or a kind of enquiry. I found an increased faith and trust( O.K, let me simply call it as 'acceptance') in that voice for which the every first year American teacher strives. I am sorry for their unawareness/unpreparedness for this program but I am happy that they started believing in me. I am marching towards the governing principles of New Tech High School, Trust, Respect and Responsibility...
I should concrete these emotions and see that this impression stays really long. And A-day classes are one other task where this feat is yet to be achieved. I really should work out a plan B or C to bring them in to the mood of serious learning. Lot of job ahead ...
I wonder how different my feelings as a teacher here. I really had not to bother about such an issue stated above as I have been enjoying their trust and respect from my students as many other Indian teachers do.
To be frank, I believed that to impress the cream of the class and to challenge their talents, while just taking care that nobody fails in the class (almost neglecting the average child) was main job for me in India. I used the same teaching methods years long. But my American experience really making me understand how to vary your strategies according to the different learning abilities and how important is it to the needs of all the students.


This is the video that addresses almost all the current issues in the present day education (especially American) such as the drop out issue, lack of self confidence, lack of student focus in education, and teachers' attitude...
Though I shared this with few of my friends I wanted everyone who is related to education to listen to the outcry of Dalton Sharman a drop out student…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

u hav it in u!or u jus wouldn't b there!kudos on yr 'acceptance'!